Friday, March 4, 2011

Oh, what I'll miss...

Everyone keeps asking me what I'll miss when I leave the states today for Mexico City.

First thing, it's important to know the Distrito Federal (or D.F.) is a huge metropolis with just about anything you'd expect from a fast-moving, modern, Westernized country. You have your pick of public transportation: mini-buses, buses, taxis, trains, the subway (which scares the crap out of me and I promise to post a video of my first solo adventure) and, of course, your own car should you choose to obey the rules of the road. Put simply, there are none so I won't be driving anytime soon.

Another thing about driving your own car. You can't one day out of the week as it is the city's way of cutting down on pollution. Drivers know their day based on a schedule and how it corresponds to the letters and numbers on their license plates. Oh, and don't try to drive on your designated break day or you'll get pulled over. I've heard the stories so I won't chance it.

But back to Mexico City's size. Now I've recently been asked why I'm moving to "old country" and it's kind of funny but I guess I understand how all of Mexico could be perceived as being impoverished and small. But it's not. First off, el D.F. is the largest city in the Americas with an estimated population of 8.8 million people. It's also the 12th most populated city in world, ahead of New York City and Hong Kong. And in case you're curious, Shanghai holds the title for the world's largest populated city as reported by Wiki (a site which is always what you make of it).

So Mexico City is not lacking in people as well as in big box retail stores, entertainment, food, nightlife, outdoor activities, you name it. And my new neighborhood has its own charm as well. I'll be living in one el D.F.'s eight boroughs (also known as delegaciones) called Gustavo A. Madero. The Mexican Consul of Seattle happened to visit my university (workplace) a couple months ago so I was very proud of myself when I answered his question about which borough I plan to call home. Thanks Wiki! I still love you.

So here we go, the list, in no particular order...

Maple Trees - Love, love, love these beautiful trees. Nothing quite like them. Feel free to send me photos of them in the fall. Thank you Ken for the gorgeous maple tree photo at the Bellevue park near our work.












PCC - Oh, the best store ever! I eat here almost everyday. Curry tofu, honey roasted pumpkins seeds, apricot chickpea salad...just some of my favorites. Whole Foods really can't compare.














Outings with the bros - Missing you already. Thanks for so many good times. More to come in Mexico.

















Trish McEvoy = <3

The only makeup that makes me want to pay more.









Veggie Cheese - Try it. Don't hate.

















Golds Gym in Redmond - Love the towel service, the cleaning lady who chats with me in the locker room and my trainer Ed who taught me to run a mile without stopping. I got up to five miles daily.













SPRAWL - Good times, ridiculous hikes and lots of hot tubbing. But you guys suck for not coming to my party. Except for Raj who is standing behind me as I write this. Just come to Mexico and I will forgive you.















Movie nights with Antonio, Luis and Mirembe

Thank you for introducing me to Fluffy! I will miss wine nights!



















Walking aimlessly through Target

Enough said.















411/911 calls to Hemmy 24/7

Thanks for being a lifeline and a voice on the other end of the Batphone. Te quiero!












Random trips to the Tri

Who wouldn't try it?













Random adventures with Bose and King

Missing the Tri already. Not. But missing you!












Visiting Grandma

This is a bad photo but a funny moment. Te amo mucho Grandma.
Link









Cataldo

He never sings my favorite song of his but always spends time chatting with us after his shows. I LOVE his music. Remember Cataldo, you promised to play at my wedding next year.




















Dad and Denise

Thank you for being so supportive. I can't imagine this move without your love.

2 comments:

  1. Miss you too sis :) I'll come visit soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our first stop will be to get you a real torta and taco. lol.

    ReplyDelete