Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Visas. Just another thing that's totally out of my control.


Said applies for his visa to visit the States tomorrow morning. And of course, it's not as easy as it sounds.

Three weeks ago he requested an appointment for an embassy representative to meet with him. In preparation for this appointment, I've filled out a government form saying that basically if he runs amuck here I am financially responsible for it. So, yeah, SAID, no loud parties, trashing hotels or mooning people while you visit my beloved Seattle. Or else they'll raid my bank account.

Said has it a little tougher than I do. Today he's waiting for a lawyer to write him a letter — which I think he may get notarized — saying that he's an upstanding citizen with a law degree and an established business in the city. He'll then present these to forms tomorrow to his embassy rep.

The reason for all these forms and declarations? Well, from what I've heard and learned from Said, just because you apply for a visa doesn't mean you will get one. On the other hand, I can enter Mexico visa-less and pretty much whenever I want. It's not fair, and yes I know there are reasons for this, but still, it sucks when the person applying for a U.S. visa honestly has no plans to overstay their welcome.

Me: "Yes, we actually want to go back to Mexico."
Everyone else: "Really?"
Me: "Yes."

Anyway, if all goes well Said will visit for a few weeks and we will fly back to el D.F. together. I'm planning an awesome Seattle tour for him, which includes the Needle (hell, maybe we should just do the Ride the Ducks tour), The Crab Pot, a Cataldo show at the Sunset Tavern, wine tasting in Woodinville, dim sum in Chinatown and whatever else comes to mind. Oh yeah, Pike Place Market. Gotta go there and see the gum wall.

Now that I think about it my friend Antonio and my brother Roberto give the best tours of Seattle. They visit the off-the-beaten-path stuff so maybe I should just ask them for help. My tour should be non-generic.

So back to whatever I was doing. Wish us luck for tomorrow.

Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment